Saturday, August 21, 2010

A moratorium on ‘boutique’ hotels

Attention dictionary publishers of the world. We need to have a frank and honest discussion about the word “hotel.” I believe it has become, as you would put it, archaic. No one says it any more – at least not without putting the word “boutique” in front of it first.

Fifty years ago, it was acceptable to say, “Hey, I’m going to that swell new hotel on King.” Not now. Today, the declaration might be rendered thusly: “Hey, after I get my chest waxed I’m going to the rooftop lounge of that hot new boutique hotel on King to drink purple-basil gimlets.” The plain old non-boutique “hotel” is fusty, a relic of our linguistic past, like “aroint” (which means “begone!”) and “soothfast” (“truthful”).

Read More:

0 comments:

Post a Comment